4.09.2008

Jersey Shore Podcast and Other Links

Every day I spend about two hours on the internet reading great articles, watching great videos, and checking out a few fantastic blogs. Unlike most people, however, I tend to be more of a passive user of the internet than an interactive one. I very rarely comment on any of the blogs I read, and, despite the fact that I have a blog of my own, rarely link to anything.

Well, NO MORE I SAY! From now on, I will do my best to alert you, my loyal reader, to all that is great and semi-great in my internet browser.

First off, I'd like to alert everyone's attention to The Official Jersey Shore Podcast, hosted by DJ Messer and my friend Danny Peterson. You'll also hear Danny's brother Joe on the 'cast who is nice enough to back me up with his bass when I go out and do my singin'. They basically chat about what's going on during the week and over the weekend around Monmouth County and the Jersey Shore, and come up with some great places and events to check out you may or may not have been aware of. For instance, two weeks ago they told listeners about this great, handsome, charming singer playing over in Sea Bright, and, wouldn't you know it, the guy was absolutely wonderful. So, do me, them, and yourself a favor by clicking that link and diggin' the 'cast.

A few other links:

One of my daily blog visits is The Hater by Amelie Gillette over at the Onion A.V. Club, in which she daily eviscerates pop culture. This post on a current running MTV psa using holocaust imagery was great and lead to some of the funniest comments I've ever read. Four words: "Mein Super Sweet Kampf".

Gary Kamiya reviews Gerard DeGroot's ""The Sixties Unplugged: A Kaleidoscopic History of a Disorderly Decade". A book that debunks all the hazy, hippy, mythologizing of the 60's. Now, I'm as absolutely sick of hearing about the Nineteen "You don't understand, it was revolutionary! We changed the world with our minds and our music, man!" Sixties as any sane person under the age of 50 could possibly be, but I like the fact that someone is laying a thorough and well-researched hammer down on the age of peace and love. At the end of the article Kamiya does try to put a little of the (star)shine back on the 60's, arguing that they may have achieved something that just can't be quantified or measured (*gag*), but obviously a man with this bio (scroll down) is going to be a little insecure and defensive after such a scholarly de-pantsing.

For all you presidential campaign watchers out there, Slate.com serves up two great articles about the two presumptive candidates. One is a bit of advice to Obama on how to play on the world stage, the other is a li'l feel good anecdote on John McCain from about a decade ago.

Last, but certainly not least, not only did the Mets lose their final season opener at Shea, they also got "Rick Rolled". Here's the video. For those of you who don't know what getting "Rick Rolled" means, Google it, I can't link to everything, dammit.

No comments: