11.28.2007

Just Like Starting Over...

Here I go again on my own. Well, not entirely on my own. Actually, there's a somewhat new cast of characters, but you'll be introduced to them later. I'm relaunching my blog and website, and, basically, my whole career as an artist/musician. I'll get into more of the significant changes later, but the main thing is that I'm gonna be doing a lot more of what I want and less of creating things just to fit a certain marketplace. I do love sports, though, and there is a marketplace for sports art. So, luckily, that part of the equation will still remain.

One of the main things I'm trying to do is to sit down and do some drawing or painting everyday, and I'm going to do my best to continuously post what I'm up to on this blog. So... long story short, there's gonna be a lot more to see (and hear) on this blog from now on. To start, here's some fun (and some not-so-fun) I had over the last week or so messing around with pastels.

First off, LT sacking mark Rypien. I like the way this one turned out. It was nice coming up with something photo-realistic yet stylized. I think it has a very lively, kinetic feel to it. I just wish you could feel the hit a little more.



Next up we have some Sinatra sketches. For the most part, this is just me messing with color and drawing style, but I do love this pose of his and want to do something definitive with it. These are just the first steps toward deciding what that something will be.

First is what I call "Neon Shite". A complete disaster. In fact, it doesn't even look like him.



The likeness on this one is better, but he looks like something from the land of the dead in the Corpse Bride. I was trying to avoid using actual skin tones and thought something in blue would be cool, but...



...It wasn't cool, so I ended up going with more realistic skin tones. I was still trying to do something a little more loose and sketchy, rather than go straight for the photo-realistic gusto. I'm still not satisfied with it, though. Plus, his mouth is too big.

No comments: